The logical extension to Great Plains Conservation’s Zarafa Camp, the Dhow Suites, have quickly become the ultimate private retreat, offering 2200 sq ft (210m2) of understated opulence in one of Africa’s last great wildernesses – the private 320,000-acre Selinda Reserve.
Cut from the same cloth as Zarafa’s main camp, the suites are completely autonomous, having their own staff and catering exclusively for a small intimate group of friends or family who want to truly immerse them in the grandeur of a classic safari experience.
Hidden Item +
More..+With two lavish bedrooms on either side of a sumptuous lounge and dining room, the ambience is one of complete harmony with nature, with breathtaking, elevated views out over the Zibadianja Lagoon. A multi-level deck, with a pool, adds to the palatial expanse of living space, which has been inspired by the miracle of wild Africa.
That miracle is embodied by the story of Zarafa, the “beloved one” – a Nubian giraffe given to Charles X of France by the Viceroy of Egypt in 1826. Zarafa’s journey to Paris necessitated her being transported down the Nile in an East African dhow with a hole cut in its upper deck to accommodate her long, slender neck.
The Dhow Suites have been named for this most traditional of vessels, and the role it played in Zarafa’s own, fascinating “safari”.
The East African influence in the suites is tangible, with ancient Zanzibari doors adding unique flavour to the rich interiors. Each bedroom has its own fireplace and huge copper baths, positioned to make the most of the views out over the lagoon. Dinner takes place either in the indoor dining room or outside, under a canopy of stars.
The villa concept takes its lead from the old-world elegance of the 1920s, when safari was in its infancy and yet managed to encompass a style and grace all of its own. Think Karen Blixen, lead crystal and Limoges, Mozart playing on a gramophone and a million stars twinkling in the Milky Way overhead…
It is a “beloved suite” and the ideal place for people to not just connect with Africa, but also reconnect with one another.
Access Directions+• Light aircraft transfers from Kasane (50 mins) and Maun (45 min) airports;
• Private Air charter access available;
• The Zarafa Dhow Suites are a 45-minute drive from its airstrip;
• Co-ordinates: S18 35’ 22.86” : E23 30’ 51.28”
• 2,260 sq. foot Marquee style tent of canopiedbeige canvas on raised wood deck of 100-yearoldteak railroad ties;
• Private deck leading to a private swimming pool;
• Lounge has couch and two chairs, plus coffeestation and dining table;
• A fridge holds a wide selection of beverages,wine and spirits;
• Swarovski telescope, binoculars and camera;
• Gas fireplace is between the bedroom and bath;
• Either twin or double bed configuration.
• En-suite from the bedroom, there is an open-airconcept bathroom with indoor shower, claw footdeep copper tub and double vanities;
• Separate flush loo room;
• Outdoor ‘full-body’ shower;
• Hot and cold running water;
• Soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion andhairdryers provided.
CONSTRUCTION • Elaborate canvas tent on raised wood decking.
• Unique bed cooling system for summer;
• Gas fireplace for winter.
• Fly netting on all room sides and over beds.
Food & Drink+• All meals included;
• All drinks and beverages are included with the exception of imported champagnes;
• World-class (Relais & Chateaux recognised);
• Three delicious meals a day are provided.
We are extremely flexible on timings. Picnic breakfasts or lunch (or both) are the norm due to very active game drives, often delivered to the bush!
• All dietary requirements are catered for from regular to vegan to children, prior warning requested.
USUAL BOARD BASIS
• Full board.
• Private a la carte (menu options). DINING LOCATIONS
• Indoor and outdoor;
• Room Service;
• As standard.
• Included in nightly tariff - next day service,weather permitting.
CENTRAL FACILITIES/ COMMON AREAS
• Central Lounge and dining room with small bar;
• 5m Swimming pool;
• Coffee/tea station;
• Expansive deck with fire pit & seating.
• A shop is situated at Zarafa Camp and canbe visited throughout the day. It sells locallyand regionally produced crafts, many of whichsupport local community projects in the nearbyOkavango panhandle.
• Yoga mats, weights and bands are provided ineach suite;
• In-room massage is available at additionalcost;
• Spinning exercise bike is located on the deck.
Each room has the following for guest use duringtheir stay:
• Canon 5D camera body with 24 - 105mm and100-400mm lenses;
• Swarovski telescope (one for the Suites);
• Swarovski 8 x 42 binoculars.
• Available at standard
POWER & COMMUNICATIONS SOURCE
• The Dhow Suites are operated by an impressive solar farm;
• This system produces 220V, 24-hour electricity to the suites;
• Universal plug points in each tent.
INTERNET & MOBILE
• Wi-fi available in suite;
• No mobile signal.
Photography+The Suites have a professional Canon camera set, including two Canon 5D camera bodies with Canon 100- 400mm and 20-105mm lenses. Photos will be downloaded to a storage device on guest’s departure. Each room also comes with a pair of Swarovski binoculars for guest use as well.
Health & Safety+MALARIA
• Minimal exposure – Malaria prophylaxisare recommended if guests are concerned;however, this is a remote area with littleoccurrence.
• Guests must hold comprehensive medicalinsurance and emergency evacuationinsurance;
• Senior staff all has first aid training;
• Nearest decent medical facility is in Maun, andthen Johannesburg.
RISK OF DANGEROUS ANIMALS
• Moderate due to high predator density area.
• None. There are no populations nearby, and nouninvited guests.
• Four fire extinguishers.
POSSIBILITY OF DISABLED ACCESS
• The Dhow Suites layout is not conducive to wheelchair bound guests due stair access and steps on the main decking.
• Provided in every room.
ACCEPTED PAYMENT ON LOCATION
• Staff gratuities can be paid in Botswana Pula, South African Rands, US Dollars (2004 or later), Euros or GB Pounds.
• Great Plains Conservation.
Children+• We look forward to having children stay with us that are 6 years and older.
• Children must be a minimum of 12 years old to participate in extensive walking activities (Young Explorers program excepted)
• Young Explorers program – thoughtfully designed to explore a range of experiences and topics from birding to cooking to art to tracking wildlife
Zafara Dhow Suites Gallery
|Zarafa Dhow Suites
An exclusive use villa residence consisting of two suites, shared lounge, dining and pool including private game drive vehicle, guide and chef. Privately guided and hosted.
|20 December 2017 - 10 January 2018|
|- US$ per night on exclusive use only||$ 9 800|