There’s an old saying that great things come in little packages… Selinda Explorers Camp is no exception! Small – catering for only 8 guests – but perfectly formed, its “wow” factor lies in the experience it offers, treading in the footsteps of Livingstone and Selous, both of whom wandered right through the area in which the camp is situated. It’s also in the grandeur of the expedition-style decor, with campaign furniture and vintage travelling trunks lending an authentic, transient atmosphere to the camp’s traditional canvas tents.
The camp is located on a remote stretch of the Selinda Spillway, close to the heart of the pristine 320,000-acre private Selinda Reserve. It used to have another home – the Selous game reserve in Tanzania – but was moved here in its entirety a few years ago and has never looked back since opening in 2012.
Hidden Item +
More..+Under a canopy of towering jackalberry and mangosteen trees, the four custom-designed tents embody the philosophy of exploration, sitting squarely on the earth, connecting guests directly with the pulse of the wild. They’re spacious and stay true to the classic age of safari, when the journey was more important than the destination.
In an effort to rekindle the magic of a proper expedition camp, hot and cold water are provided in large jugs on demand for the copper vanities and the en-suite flush toilet and bucket shower, although enclosed at the sides, are open to the stars above.
Hot water for the bucket shower is brought to your tent on request, and should the hopeless romantic in you prove to hard to resist, brass hipbaths could be portered to a nearby sandbank on the edge of the Selinda Spillway for a bath like no other – it doesn’t get more spectacular than that!
With the wildlife viewing activities mainly focused on guided walks and canoe trips followed by open vehicle game drives, this area is a wildlife hotspot which is home to huge herds of elephant and buffalo. It is here that lion, wild dog, sable and roan antelope are all spotted on a regular basis.
And because at Selinda Explorers Camp the focus is on walking, you will be seeing the small, incredibly interesting things often missed on vehicles.
Access Directions+• Light aircraft transfers from Kasane (50 mins) and Maun (45 min) airports;
• Private Air charter access available;
• Selinda Explorers Camp is a 50-minute drive from its airstrip;
• Co-ordinates: S18.30'45.16 : E23.24'28.50
Tent Details+Total Number of Bedrooms: 4 double or twin configuration tents & 1 guide room.
Triples for children sharing with adults can be arranged upon request..
• Two-room custom-designed canvas tents atground level consisting of main bedroom, withseparate dressing and washbasin area;
• Either twin or double configuration;
• Ground-level verandah with chairs and view;
• Campaign style furniture made from recycledhard woods, and copper fixtures.
• A private, decked, open-air en suite ‘bustani’bathroom adjoins the guest tent;
• Includes a flush toilet, double basins and a hot/cold water shower;
• Soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion provided.
• Double Selous style canvas tent at ground level
• Standing fans.
• Fly netting on all tent sides.
Number of Guests+A maximum of 8 guests sharing in 4 tents located alongside the Selinda Spillway plus an additional guide’s tent as required.
Children from 10 years are welcome.
Food & Drink+• All meals included. All drinks and beverages(limited selection) are included with theexception of imported champagnes and spirits;
• Excellent: Three delicious wholesome mealsa day are provided from our ‘bush kitchen’.Most are produced on an open fire, includingcanapés, multi-course meals using local freshingredients. It is quite amazing!
• We are extremely flexible on timings. Picnicbreakfasts or lunch (or both) are commonlyenjoyed while out on safari;
• All dietary requirements are catered for fromregular to vegan to children, prior warningrequested.
USUAL BOARD BASIS
• Full board.
• Group meals.
• Indoor and outdoor.
CENTRAL FACILITIES/ COMMON AREAS
• Main tented area with separate lounge anddining areas;
• Coffee/tea/bar station;
• Fire pit with seating;
• Canoes provided.
• Not available.
POWER & COMMUNICATIONS
• Limited power is available;
• Tents have individual solar panels for 24-hr electricity;
• A battery charging station is in the main area with international plug sockets including UK, Europe and US.
INTERNET & MOBILE
• Neither is available.
Health & Safety+MALARIA
• Minimal – Malaria prophylaxis are recommended if guests are concerned but this is a remote area with little occurrence.
• Guests must hold comprehensive medical insurance and emergency evacuation insurance;
• Senior staff all has first aid training;
• Nearest decent medical facility is in Maun, and then Johannesburg.
RISK OF DANGEROUS ANIMALS
• Moderate – high predator density area.
• None. There are no populations nearby, and no uninvited guests.
• Fire extinguishers in every tent.
POSSIBILITY OF DISABLED ACCESS
• No due to sandy pathways.
• Available in each guest tent.
ACCEPTED PAYMENT ON LOCATION
• All-inclusive. Staff gratuities can be paid in Botswana Pula, South African Rands, US Dollars (2004 bills or later only) or GB Pounds.
• No credit cards are accepted.
Children+• We look forward to having children stay with us who are 10 years and older;
• Young children must be supervised as the camp is open, with high predator densities in and around camp and there is water surrounding camp;
• Walking activities will be designed based on children’s age;
• Young Explorers program – thoughtfully designed to explore a range of experiences and topics from birding to cooking to art to tracking wildlife.
Selinda Explorers Camp Gallery