Situated overlooking the Chobe River and its adjacent floodplain, Ngoma Safari Lodge is relatively new to the Chobe Forest Reserve, having opened in 2011. It's one of only a handful of lodges on the western side of Chobe National Park, an area that receives fewer visitors than the east, which is closer to Kasane.
Ngoma is one of the more luxurious lodges in the quieter, western end of the Chobe Riverfront area, which is a favorite of ours. Even with its air conditioning and plunge pools it feels closer to a safari lodge then many of the options further east. Combine this with a relatively low density of visitors, high standards and an enthusiastic team of staff and we think Ngoma makes for a great lodge!
Each of the lodge’s 8 river-facing suites offers quiet refuge in a luxurious setting with an emphasis on space and comfort, and comes complete with overhead fan, air conditioning, mini-bar and tea/coffee facilities, bath, indoor and outdoor showers as well as a private outdoor living area with a ‘refresh and relax’ pool.
Directions: It's roughly a 50-minute drive from Kasane Airport to Ngoma, largely along a tar road; transfers are made in an air-conditioned minibus.
Accessible by: Fly-and-Transfer
Location: Chobe National Park, Botswana
Ideal length of stay: Two or three nights, either at the start or end of your safari in Botswana, especially between July and October when game densities along the Chobe Riverfront tend to be higher.
- Attitude towards children: Children aged 10 years and over are welcome at Ngoma Safari Lodge.
- Equipment: Two of the rooms can be converted into triples.
- Generally recommended for children: Ngoma strikes us as being a little more suited to couples than families. We would not recommend it for children younger than 16 years, and only for those who have a keen interest in wildlife.
- Notes: Due to the presence of potentially dangerous wildlife around this unfenced camp, children must be under the constant supervision of their parents. The pool is unfenced and there are steep drops in front of many of the chalets and viewing decks.
- Power supply: Mains Electricity
- Power supply notes: Ngoma is connected to the mains power supply from Kasane.
- Communications: There is usually cellphone coverage at Ngoma as well as WiFi in the main area.
- TV & radio: There is no TV or radio at Ngoma.
- Water supply: Mains
- Water supply notes: The rooms at Ngoma have fully plumbed showers. Toilets are flushing and there is running water in the en-suite bathrooms. Fresh bottled mineral water and glasses are kept on a stand by the bed.
Ngoma Safari Lodge Gallery