A hidden jewel on the Xudum River, Kanana is located in the southwest of the Okavango Delta. The area encompasses a necklace of islands dotted with palms, figs, ebony and knobthorn, and is home to a myriad of birds, plants and animals. The nature of the habitat means it is the perfect place to experience the diversity of species found within the Okavango Delta.
Kanana was refurbished at the beginning of 2019. Guests are accommodated in seven spacious twin and double-bedded safari tents, each en- suite bathroom has a large walk-in shower and luxurious fittings. Families are accommodated in a two-bedroomed tent, sharing an en-suite bathroom with the addition of an outdoor shower – ideal for families in this child-friendly camp. The tents are well spaced, affording privacy whilst remaining within a comfortable distance from the main camp area. The annual floods transform parts of this concession into a true water paradise, offering guests the best of both worlds. Due to the camps location guests can experience magnificent game sightings during drives as well as the unique experience of exploring the delta's beautiful waterways by boat or Mokoro. You may actually enjoy the breath-taking spectacle of the water visibly rising around the camp’s raised teak decks. The Sleep Out Deck offers guests the opportunity to spend the night out under the magnificent African night sky.
Situated in the Kanana Concession, the focus of activities at Kanana varies with the rising and falling levels of the Okavango Delta. Activities include morning and afternoon game drives in open safari vehicles, with afternoon game drives often continuing into the evening. When out on game drives our window seat guarantee ensures no more than four guests per vehicle and individual use of a camera mount. Alternatively, you may explore the crystal-clear waterways by Mokoro or motorboat, and enjoy the magnificent variety of birds, plant and reptile species found in the area. Birding is spectacular with Kanana hosting a seasonal heronry that is one of the largest in Southern Africa, a highlight that converts all visitors to avid 'twitchers'. Guided bush walks are highly recommended as is fishing for tilapia, African pike and sharptooth catfish.
- Seven spacious twin/double bedded tents with en-suite bathrooms (triple on request)
- One family tent (sleeping five people in two bedrooms with shared en-suite bathroom – additional outdoor shower)
- Dining room, al fresco deck, bar, sitting area and campfire overlooking the Xudum River
- Private airstrip
- Swimming pool
- Sleep Out Deck
- Kanana’s private concession location allows guided walks, Mokoro excursions and night drives in addition to game drives and motor boating.
- Wildlife is in abundance with frequent predator sightings such as lion, leopard and wilddog all making Kanana their hunting grounds. The camp also affords private access to one of the largest heronries not only in the Okavango Delta but Southern Africa and is an excellent area for birding with regular sightings of Pels Fishing Owl.
- Fishing is available throughout the year (with the exception of January and February).
Kanana Lodge Gallery